Forget all those bland nut roasts that were the only veggie option in the pub. Say hello to our cashew nut roast with a gooey, cheesy middle.
- 1 onion – diced
- 220g cashews or mixed nuts – a 50/50 mix of cashews & almonds is dreamy!
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 200g spinach
- 75g vegan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 190c / gas mark 5.
- Add the oil to a saucepan and heat up over a medium heat.
- Sautée the onion until soft.
- Pop the nuts, breadcrumbs, rosemary and a pinch of salt & pepper into a blender and blitz until combined.
- Add the stock and onions, then blend again.
- Put the pan back on to a medium heat and add the spinach – add handful by handful if you struggle to fit it all in the pan at once. Stir until all the spinach has wilted down, put the lid on for 30 seconds at a time to help it wilt, then stir. Drain off any liquid.
- Serve half the nut mix into a 1 lb loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper, and smooth it out with a spoon so it's level.
- Spoon on the wilted spinach and spread it until it's evenly coating the nut mix.
- Add the vegan cheese on top of the spinach, again, creating an even layer.
- Serve the other half of the nut mix into the tin and smooth it out evenly.
- Put the loaf tin into the oven to bake for 40 minutes, turning halfway through. Once done it will be a lovely golden colour on top, and the cheese will be gooey in the middle.
- Leave to stand for 30 minutes to allow it to set, then serve.
- Use gluten free breadcrumbs and stock to make this recipe gluten free
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Cashew nut roast, nut roast, Christmas nut roast, vegan roast dinner