This easy vegan pad Thai recipe is simple to make and only takes 30 minutes! It's a classic street food dish that can be found on almost any street corner in Thailand. Our recipe is based on an authentic vegan Pad Thai that we learned to cook in Thailand.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 450g firm tofu – cut into 2cm chunks
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 large carrots – diced
- 6 spring onions – cut into 2cm slices
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce*
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce*
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 300g bean sprouts
- 4 tbsp peanuts - roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 tbsp pickled radishes*
- 1 cup warm water
- 200g flat rice noodles
- Optional: 4 tbsp cornflour to coat the tofu (this adds a nice coating to the tofu)
- If you're using the cornflour, put it in a bowl and toss the tofu in it until all pieces are well coated.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok over a medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook until nicely browned and crispy on the outside. Take the tofu out and set to one side for later. Even if you aren't using the cornflour, it's good to seal and brown the tofu first.
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of hot water and leave for 5-10 minutes (or follow the instructions on the packet).
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over a medium-high heat in the wok.
- Fry the garlic in the wok for a minute (it should be sizzling, but be careful it doesn't burn).
- Add the carrot, spring onions, soy sauce and sugar, then keep stirring for a few minutes more
- Pop the radishes in (if using them).
- Drain and rinse the noodles with cold water.
- Move everything to the side of the wok and add the warm water into the gap. Pour in the noodles and stir everything together.
- Once the water has cooked off (it should take a few minutes over a high heat) add the peanuts, tofu, bean sprouts and lime juice.
- Taste, and add more soy sauce, lime juice or sugar if needed.
- Chuck a bottle of light soy, lime wedges, chilli flakes and extra crushed peanuts on the table, so everyone can have their vegan pad Thai just the way they like it!
Pickled radishes can be found at Asian supermarkets and online. We'll update this recipe once we find a reputable online source for them.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Easy vegan pad Thai, tofu pad Thai,