Traditionally a meat-based salad, adopted by the Thai people from Laos – we've created our own vegan and vegetarian friendly mushroom larb. A delicious mix of mushrooms, fresh herbs and the crunch of toasted rice!
- 1 tbsp toasted rice (see notes)
- 250g chestnut mushrooms – diced finely
- 250g shiitake mushrooms – diced finely
- 2 shallots – chopped
- 2 tbsp mint – chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander – chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 baby gem lettuce
- Firstly make the toasted rice if you don't have any – see the recipe notes on how to make it (it's quick!).
- Heat up a large frying pan or wok, add a splash of oil and cook the mushrooms until they're tender and have released some liquid – this should only take a few minutes with how small they're chopped.
- Once cooked, drain the excess liquid from the mushrooms by pouring the contents of your wok into a sieve.
- In a large bowl, mix the chopped shallots, mint, coriander, chilli flakes and toasted rice with the mushrooms.
- Add the soy sauce, lime juice and sugar and mix really well.
- It's that simple! Serve on whole leaves of baby gem lettuce – three lettuce leaves loaded up with mushroom larb per person makes for a delicious light lunch.
- To make toasted rice: take around a quarter of a cup of rice, and a frying pan. Without any oil, put the frying pan over a medium heat and place the rice in the pan. Keep an eye on the rice to make sure it doesn’t burn. Shake the pan every couple of minutes to ensure every rice grain is roasted. After around 10 minutes it should be pretty well toasted and a nice golden colour. Put the toasted rice into a blender/food processor, or pestle & mortar, and blitz or bash it into a course powder. This will keep in a tub for at least a few months.
- Instead of roasted rice, you can used crushed cashews or peanuts. It won't quite be the same, but it will be tasty still!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Fry, Chop, Mix
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Mushroom larb, Vegan larb, Thai mushroom larb, Thai vegan larb