Vegan Saag Aloo is great as a side on a curry night, or as a main. It's deliciously fragrant and mild, plus it only takes 25 minutes to make!
- 500g potatoes - chopped into bitesize chunks
- 1 onion - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger - chopped fine
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 250g spinach
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp water
- 2tbsp oil (Rapeseed or Coconut)
- 1 tsp salt
- Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan (that has a lid) pour in the oil, and let it heat for a minute. Once hot, add in the yellow mustard seeds and cumin seeds for one minute, until they are 'popping' around in the pan.
- Put the onion in, stir and then place the lid on and leave for 10 minutes, over a medium heat.
- Pop in the garlic, ginger, tomato puree, the rest of the spices and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir well.
- After 5 minutes, add in the drained potatoes and the remaining half cup of water. Stir well again, then add the salt.
- Finally, add in the spinach, 2 handfuls at a time. To help it wilt, place the lid onto the pan for 30 seconds after each lot of spinach is added in. Repeat until all spinach is wilted.
If you'd like the Saag Aloo to be spicy, double the chilli powder or add in a chopped fresh chilli.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: India
Keywords: Saag Aloo, Vegan Saag Aloo