Vegan tacos are out of this world. They're always a crowd pleaser, cheap and easy to make. What's not to love?
We always pimp our vegan tacos out with all the extras – guacamole, yoghurt, chilli flakes and fresh coriander. If you're going to do it, go all out and enjoy a real Mexican feast.
We even like to splash on some limited edition Jalapeno, Lime and Coriander Sauce from our pals at Tubby Tom's, but they have a load of other vegan chilli sauces that would work wonders with this dish, like Nuff Love, which is a delicious pineapple chilli sauce.
We've used store bought hard taco shells for this recipe but you could easily use tortilla wraps baked for a few minutes into a shell shape, if you want to go to the effort.
If you like this recipe, you may also like this smoky, one-pot Jackfruit Chilli.
Spicy Chilli Vegan Tacos
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 red onion – chopped finely
- 2 red peppers – sliced finely
- 400 g black beans – 1 tin, drained
- 400 g kidney beans – 1 tin, drained
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 12 hard taco shells or soft taco shells
- 2 avocados – mashed
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp lime juice – ½ a lime
- Coconut yoghurt
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Chilli flakes
- Heat the coconut oil in a small pan over a medium heat and then add in the onion. Cook the onions until translucent, then add the garlic.1 red onion, 1 tsp coconut oil, 3 cloves garlic
- After a couple of minutes pop the peppers into the pan and continue cooking for about five minutes2 red peppers
- Sprinkle the spices and add the tomato puree to the pan1 tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp chilli flakes, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tsp cumin
- Once the spices have become fragrant pour in the tomatoes400 g chopped tomatoes
- Add in both of the beans and season generously with salt400 g black beans, 400 g kidney beans, Salt and black pepper
- Bring up to the boil before simmering for 15 minutes, uncovered. It will thicken up whilst simmering
- While the mix is simmering, make the guacamole
- Carefully remove the stones from the avocados and scoop out the middle2 avocados
- In a bowl, mash the avocado along with the lime juice, fresh coriander, salt and pepper1 handful fresh coriander, Salt and black pepper, 1 tbsp lime juice
- Once the bean mix has thickened up, build your tacos. Start with the beans and then layer up with guacamole, coconut yoghurt, chilli flakes (optional) and fresh coriander.12 hard taco shells, Coconut yoghurt, Handful of fresh coriander, Chilli flakes