This swede mash takes just 25 minutes, is utterly indulgent and a great alternative (or addition!) to mashed potato.
- 700g swede – peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Fill a large pan with water and bring to the boil.
- Once the water’s boiling, carefully pop the chopped and peeled swede in.
- Boil for 20 minutes. Pierce with a fork to check if it's ready. The fork should enter the swede easily. If not, give it 5 minutes longer.
- Drain the swede using a colander, and then put it back into the pan.
- Add the vegan butter, salt and pepper, then mash with either a masher or a potato ricer until smooth. It might take up to 10 minutes!
- Make sure there aren't any visible lumps, and then serve as part of a roast dinner or with roasted veggies on top.
Mashed swede won’t get as smooth as mashed potato, but make sure that there aren’t any visible lumps.
You could add a splash of oat milk to help create a smoother texture
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Swede mash, Mashed Swede