This Thai basil tofu stir-fry is our vegan take on the street food classic, pad krapow. Featuring fiery holy basil, crumbled tofu and fresh, crunchy vegetables – it's a delicious, healthy meal that only takes around 15 minutes to prepare.
- 250g extra-firm tofu – crumbled
- 1 shallot – diced
- 4 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 4 bird eye chillies* – chopped
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce*
- 1 red pepper – sliced
- 100g green beans – chopped
- 100g tenderstem broccoli – chopped
- 1 cup (~50g) holy basil leaves*
- Add a splash of oil to a wok and bring up to a medium-high heat.
- Fry the crumbled tofu until any water has been released and the tofu is dry, but don't brown it.
- Stir in the shallot, garlic and chillies, and leave to cook for a couple of minutes until the shallot has softened.
- Add the sugar, soy, vegetarian oyster sauce and vegetables and fry for a few minutes until your veg is hot. We don't fry the veg for very long as we love fresh, crunchy vegetables in dishes like this, but you can cook for longer if you'd like!
- Remove the wok from the heat and stir in the basil leaves – it's best to let them wilt from the existing heat in the pan, rather than cook them. You don't need to chop the basil – just remove from the stem and throw them in whole.
- Taste and add more soy if needed. If it's looking a bit dry you can add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Serve over rice and you're done – enjoy!
If you're not such a fan of spicy food, start with 1 or 2 chillies – you can always add more! We typically use 4 in this dish, but if you're feeling brave you can add more.
Vegetarian oyster sauce is also sometimes called mushroom sauce or mushroom stir-fry sauce. If you don't have it, you can just use more soy.
Try to get holy basil leaves for the proper experience. If you can't find any, switch them out for Thai basil leaves to make more of a pad horapa style dish.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai basil tofu stir-fry, holy basil stir-fry, vegan Thai basil stir-fry