Our Thai cashew stir fry with tofu is a vegan spin on the classic “cashew chicken” or "gai pad med mamuang himaphan". A protein packed, 20 minute stir fry with a kick!
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegan Oyster Sauce
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- Pinch of salt
For the stir fry:
- 400g extra firm tofu - cut into cubes
- 1-2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 shallots - cut into chunks
- 1 cup plain cashews
- 4 large cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 4 bird eye chillies – finely chopped
- 2 red peppers - cut into chunks
- 150g tenderstem broccoli
- 150g sugar snap peas
- 6 spring onions - cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp & 1 tsp oil
- To start off, coat the tofu in cornflour – just chuck it all in a bowl and give it a good mix up until all the pieces of tofu are nicely coated.
- Add the oil to a wok and bring it up to a medium-high heat. Then add the cubes of tofu and fry for a few minutes on each side – you want to get a nice golden brown colour. Once done, take the tofu out of the wok and put it to one side for later.
- In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and put that to one side for later as well.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the wok and get it back up to a medium-high heat.
- Fry the shallots and cashews and cook for a couple of minutes until the onions have softened and the cashews have started to brown. Be careful not to burn them, you just want to catch them as they start to brown.
- Now get the chilli and garlic in and cook for a minute.
- Chuck all the veg in there and stir for a few minutes more. Stir Fry until everything is nice and hot but still fresh and crunchy.
- Pour the sauce in and mix everything up whilst on the heat so it's all coated nicely. Serve immediately with rice.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai Cashew Stir-Fry, cashew stir fry, vegan cashew stir fry