Thai jok is a hearty Thai breakfast! A delicious and filling savoury rice porridge, which you can customise with a variety of tasty toppings to suit you.
- 2 cups rice – jasmine is used traditionally, but other types of rice are also fine
- 3-4 litres stock – vegan chicken stock or regular vegetable stock
- Crumbled tofu fried with garlic and soy sauce
- Sliced mushrooms fried with garlic and soy sauce
- Sliced spring onions
- Matchsticks of fresh ginger
- Leafy greens, such as spinach, spring greens or cabbage
- Grated carrot
- Pour 3 litres of stock into a very large pan and bring to a boil – if you’re using stock cubes or powder, you can make it up directly in the pan.
- If using jasmine rice, rinse in a sieve until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice to the pan and bring to a low-simmer.
- Cook for around 90 minutes with the lid on, stirring regularly to prevent sticking. Add more stock if it needs it. If using brown rice, cook for around 2 hours.
- Once the rice has started to break down and resembles a soupy porridge consistency, you’re done.
- Serve in a bowl along with a variety of tasty toppings (as suggested above)!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai jok, Thai breakfast, Thai congee