The perfect side dish or quick lunch, stir fried morning glory is one of the easiest Thai dishes you'll ever make. 7 ingredients, 5 minutes and you'll be in Thai food heaven.
This recipe will make enough for 4 as a side dish. If you want to serve as a lunch or dinner, it will be enough for 2 served with rice.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 bird eye chillies – sliced in half lengthways*
- 200g morning glory – rinsed and cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp fermented soybean paste (also known as yellow bean sauce)*
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster or mushroom sauce*
- 1 tsp vegan fish sauce*
- 1 tsp sugar
- ⅛ cup water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pound the garlic and chillies in a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok until it's very hot.
- Add the garlic and chillies and stir for 10 seconds.
- Throw in the rest of the ingredients and keep stirring for around 90 seconds.
- Serve as a side or with jasmine rice for a lunch/dinner portion.
- This isn't the spiciest Thai dish out there by a long way, but use fewer chillies if you're not really into spicy food.
- The vegetarian oyster and fish sauces could be substituted for soy sauce if you don't have them. The fermented soybean paste could also be replaced by miso paste, although the flavour might not be perfect.
- Category: Starters & sides
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai morning glory, stir fried morning glory, morning glory stir fry