Shepherd's Pie is a comfort food classic - but made vegan using TVP mince! Topped with buttery, creamy mashed potatoes, we just know this will be a winner in households around the world.
- 1.4kg potatoes - chopped into medium chunks
- 4 tbsp vegan butter (we use Vitalite or Flora)
- A good splash of unsweetened non-dairy milk (no more than 100ml)
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 onions - chopped
- 500g carrots - diced
- 2 cups TVP mince (Textured Vegetable Protein)
- 1.5 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 800g chopped tinned tomatoes (2 x 400g tins)
- 4 tsp vegan gravy (we used Bisto reduced salt version)
- 500ml veggie stock
- 350g petit pois
- 1 tsp veg oil
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes until soft – for around 15 minutes. When they’re soft mash with a potato ricer or potato masher along with the vegan butter, milk and a good helping of salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
- While the potatoes cook, sauté the onions until translucent in a large pan.
- Chuck in the garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant, being careful not to burn it!
- Add in the carrots, thyme and tomato purée. Let it cook for a few minutes, whilst stirring, until it all starts to smell super tasty and herby.
- Pour in the tomatoes, veggie stock, gravy granules and TVP. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir the petit pois through after the 15 minutes is up.
- In a non stick roasting dish (the one we used measures 6.5cm height, 39.5cm length and 26cm width) transfer the TVP Shepherd's pie mix and spread out in the dish, it will be quite a thick layer.
- Evenly distribute the mashed potato on top of the mix, then bake for 20 minutes.
- If you can, let it stand for a few minutes once it’s done as the longer it stands the thicker it will become. Serve up with a side of veg and an extra splash of gravy.
- You could try mixing up the topping by using a 50/50 split of sweet potatoes and white potatoes!
- If you fancy a different mix of veg, try green beans and sweetcorn.
- This meal freezes well. We recommend portioning it out into individual containers so it's easy to thaw just the right amount of portions when it comes to eating them at a later date.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven-bake, Stove-top
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: TVP Shepherd's Pie, Vegan Shepherd's Pie, vegan shepherd's pie recipe