Vegan arrabiata pasta takes just 30 minutes to cook and needs just 9 ingredients! Mix up the vegetables to whatever you have on hand, and add more or less chilli depending on how spicy you like it.
- 1 onion - chopped roughly
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g chestnut mushrooms - quartered
- 4 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 red chilli - finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 800g tinned tomatoes – blended
- 200g broccoli - chopped into bitesize florets
- 2 tbsp fresh basil - chopped roughly
- 300g penne pasta
- 1 tsp salt
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions and then drain, rinse and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, sauté the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil until it is soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, chilli, herbs and puree and stir for a minute more.
- Pop in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, until they start to release water.
- Pour in the blended tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season with 1 tsp salt and pop in the basil and the drained pasta, then stir well. Make sure all of the pasta is well coated in the sauce. Serve and enjoy!
- San Marzano tomatoes are the best type of tinned tomatoes to use. It's not a big deal if you don't have this type though, any tinned tomatoes will work.
- We blend the tomatoes to save on cooking time. If you don't blend the tomatoes, or instead use passata, add on around 15-20 minutes of simmer time, to allow the sauce to thicken.
- If you don't have mushrooms or broccoli, they can be omitted or replaced with carrots and courgette.
- Arrabiata sauce is spicy. If you don't want it to be spicy, remove the seeds and the membrane from the chilli before chopping it.
- Make this sauce gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta.
- We've used penne pasta in this recipe, but you can use any pasta shape that you like. Or even spaghetti!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pasta Arrabiata