- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 750ml oat milk (unsweetened, we love Oatly Barista)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch of turmeric
- 100g vegan cheese (cheddar style, grated) + an extra couple of handfuls for the topping
- 60g vegan bacon rashers (we used This!) – chopped into small chunks
- 400g macaroni
- 150g broccoli
- Optional: 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions (usually 10 mins), after 5 minutes, add in the broccoli and boil for another 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Begin by making a roux - melt the butter in a medium pan over a medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and whisk until it combines. Don’t worry if it clumps up, this is normal.
- Pour in the milk a little. bit at a time, continually whisking until all the oat milk is added. It will gradually smooth out, just keep on whisking until it becomes silky smooth.
- Pop in the nutritional yeast and turmeric and mix well.
- Now, add in the cheese, a little bit at a time and stir until it has all melted.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Stir through the pasta and vegan bacon, mix well so everything gets nicely coated.
- Add the mix to a large deep baking dish, top with vegan cheese and breadcrumbs (if using), and cover with foil. Covering with foil helps the vegan cheese on top to melt.
- Bake for 15 mins on gas mark 5, serve and enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven-bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan baked mac and cheese, simple vegan mac and cheese, plant based macaroni and cheese