This vegan Caesar salad is creamy and delicious, just like a traditional Caesar salad. Chickpeas and vegan chicken alternative add a delicious protein kick, and the baked homemade croutons are a real treat. This salad balances healthy and naughty perfectly!
For the salad:
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts - roughly chopped
- 4 thick slices of bread - cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 avocado - cut into chunks
- Half a tin of chickpeas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- A couple of handfuls of a vegan chicken alternative*
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup cashews - soaked in water overnight (or in hot water for as long as you can if you're in a rush)
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp capers
- 1 clove garlic
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/190c.
- Chuck the bread and chickpeas in a large bowl, pour over a good the olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss to give everything a good covering.
- Put in a roasting pan and bake in the oven for around 10 minutes or until the bread is nicely toasted all over - check regularly to make sure you don't burn the croutons.
- While the bread and chickpeas are in the oven, add all the ingredients for the vegan Caesar dressing into a blender along with a generous amount of black pepper. Blend until it's completely smooth - give it a taste and add more salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast or lemon to taste.
- Once everything is ready, layer up the lettuce, avocado, croutons, chickpeas and vegan chicken on top of the lettuce in a large serving bowl.
- Top with the dressing and give it all a good mix to coat everything in the delicious dressing.
We used homemade seitan, but you could alternatively use vegan chicken alternative or smoked tofu.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Caesar salad, vegan salad dressing