This Vegan Chinese curry has all the benefits of a real Chinese takeaway, only it’s healthier and cheaper! Ready in 30 minutes and needs just one pot.
For the tofu:
- 400g firm tofu - pressed (for at least a few hours)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsps veg oil
For the rest of the curry:
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 2 onions - cut into big chunks
- 1 green chilli - finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 500g chestnut mushrooms - quartered
- 800ml stock
- 2 tbsp cornflour – mixed with a little cold water to make a paste
- 1 cup peas (or petit pois)
- 200g broccoli - cut into florets
- Press the tofu for a few hours (optional), then chop into chunks.
- Coat the tofu in the cornflour on all sides.
- Fry the tofu in 2 tablespoons of veg oil until brown on all sides.
- Once done, set the tofu aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a wok and then add the onions and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the chilli and garlic, cook for a couple minutes more.
- Next, add all the spices and cook for a minute until they become fragrant.
- Pop the mushrooms in the wok and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, then the cornflour mix and stir well.
- Keep it over a medium heat, and it will start to thicken, continue to stir. Add a splash more water if it looks too thick.
- Finish the dish by adding the broccoli, tofu and peas, and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Serve with rice and enjoy.
You could make the sauce without the vegetables or tofu to serve with chips!
Add an extra chilli if you like your curry spicy.
Try adding some curry powder to the cornflour that coats the tofu. This is delicious!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Wok
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Vegan Chinese Curry, Tofu Chinese Curry, Chinese Vegetable Curry Recipe, Vegan Chinese Curry Sauce Recipe