This is a really simple and delicious vegan dahl recipe. Ready in 35 minutes, you might be surprised at just how easy this one-pot really is!
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger - finely chopped
- 1 green chilli - finely chopped (deseeded if you want to be sure it's mild)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tomatoes - chopped
- 2 carrots - diced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 400ml coconut milk
- 200ml water
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander - roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp groundnut or rapeseed oil
- Get the oil in a saucepan and bring it up to a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and fry until soft and translucent.
- Chuck the garlic, ginger, chilli and spices in and stir.
- After a couple of minutes when the spices have become fragrant, add the carrots and tomatoes and cook for another two minutes.
- Pile in the lentils, then the coconut milk and water, and give it a good stir.
- Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Give the lentils a quick check and make sure they're cooked, if they're not quite there, give them another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander and season with salt to taste. If you're happy with consistency, serve with naan bread or roti.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Vegan Dhal, vegan dal, vegan dahl