This vegan 'egg' fried rice uses firm tofu to recreate a classic takeaway dish, along with a little help from the magic of turmeric and kala namak (a.k.a. Himalayan black salt).
For the rice:
- 300g cooked brown rice
- 2 carrots – chopped into small cubes
- 3/4 cup peas
- 1 onion – chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 125g baby corn – chopped into small chunks
- 4 spring onions – finely sliced
For the tofu 'egg':
- 200g extra-firm tofu – crumbled
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp kala namak
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Start by making the scrambled tofu – put all the ingredients in a pan and heat through until well combined, then set aside.
- In a wok, heat some sesame oil over a medium-high heat. You can use a different oil or skip it altogether if you have a good non-stick pan.
- Add in the chopped onions for a few minutes, and then follow with the garlic, being careful not to burn it.
- Pop in the carrots, baby corn and spring onions and stir fry for a couple of minutes more.
- Stir in the rice.
- Pour in the soy sauce and, once again, stir through well until combined.
- Finally, stir through the peas and tofu and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, until piping hot.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Vegan egg fried rice, tofu fried rice