Vegan Khao Soi, otherwise known as Thai Curried Coconut Soup is a definite crowd pleaser! Ready in just 30 minutes, it's a fragrant and warming bowl. Perfect for chilly evenings.
For the paste:
- 2 shallots – halved
- 1.5 tbsp fresh ginger – chopped into a few big slices
- 1 tbsp fresh turmeric* – chopped into a few big slices
- 1.5 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 cardamom pods – remove the pods to leave just the seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp fermented soybean paste*
- 4 tbsp water
For the vegan khao soi:
- All of the above paste
- 400g flat rice noodles
- 2-3 sweet potatoes (~600g) – peeled and chopped into bite-size chunks
- 400ml coconut milk
- 3 cups (750ml) of vegan chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g extra-firm tofu – chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan fish sauce or soy sauce
- 100g spring greens – roughly chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c / gas mark 5.
- Put the sweet potato in a roasting pan and put in the oven until cooked – roughly 10-15 minutes. Once a fork goes in easily it's done. When it's done, set aside for later.
- While the sweet potato is roasting, soak the noodles in a bowl/pan of freshly boiled water. You shouldn't need to put them on to cook (if you're not using rice noodles, follow your packet instructions). Put to one side.
- Add all the paste ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You can also do this in a pestle and mortar – just omit the water.
- Now get the wok on to a medium-high heat and add a splash of oil.
- Add the khao soi paste and fry for around a minute until fragrant. Then add the tofu and coat well in the paste by mixing.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stock. Bring the mix up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the sugar, vegan fish sauce (or soy sauce) and tofu. Continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Try it and add more sugar or vegan fish sauce (or soy sauce) to taste.
- Put the sweet potato and spring greens in for a couple of minutes – just until the greens have wilted and the sweet potato has heated back through.
- Drain the noodles and split into four portions. Ladle the soup on top.
- Garnish with crispy fried shallots, plus chilli flakes fried in oil for the spice lovers.
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Vegan khao soi