- 1.5kg pumpkin (1 large carving pumpkin or three tins of pumpkin puree)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (we use Vitalite)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 750g pack of short crust pastry
- Get the pastry out of the fridge - it's will be easier to work with at room temperature.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6/200c.
- Peel the pumpkin and chop into two inch chunks.
- Put on a baking tray and roast for 45 minutes (or until soft).
- Blend the baked pumpkin up into a puree.
- Turn the oven down to gas mark 5/190c.
- Roll out the pastry and sit it in the pie dish (26cm diameter dish) - create a crimp around the edges, but leave enough pastry over the edges, to stop it from shrivelling up too much.
- In a big bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, coconut cream, coconut sugar, vegan butter, vanilla extract and all the spices.
- Mix together the maple syrup and the cornflour until all the cornflour absorbs into the maple and forms a thick creamy paste.
- Add the maple cornflour mixture to the pumpkin puree and stir until combined.
- Pour the pumpkin mix into the pastry in the pie dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes - check after 30 minutes, if the edges are browning, cover the edges with tinfoil to stop it burning.
- Let the pumpkin pie cool on a wire rack, then put in the fridge overnight (8-12 hours) for it to set. This is a really important step, otherwise it will be too soft to serve!
- Once you've let the pie set in the fridge serve with oat or coconut cream and enjoy.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven-bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Pumpkin Pie