Vegan stew and dumplings is a perfect winter warmer! Potatoes, mushrooms, carrots and cabbage in a rich sauce makes for a wonderful dinner. Especially when topped with hearty, comforting (and fluffy!) vegan dumplings.
For the stew:
- 1 onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - crushed
- 500g chestnut mushrooms - chopped into chunks
- 3 carrots (350g) - peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes (400g) - peeled and chopped
- 350g savoy cabbage (sliced)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups veg stock
- 500ml ale (make sure it’s vegan)
- 2 tbsp thyme (dried or fresh)
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2-3 tbsp water to make a paste
For the dumplings:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp chives (chopped)
- 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese (optional but recommended)
- 1 cup oat milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix all of the dumpling ingredients together in a bowl. Make sure to sieve the flour so that you get extra fluffy dumplings. Set aside once all the ingredients are mixed together well.
- Fry the chopped onion in a splash of veg oil until translucent.
- Next add the garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, being careful not to burn it.
- Add in the chopped potatoes, mushrooms and thyme. Cook for about 5 mins, until the mushrooms start to release water.
- Pop in the tomato paste and carrots, then stir well.
- Pour in the ale and the veggie stock, and bring up to a simmer.
- Next add the cabbage, then allow to simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on. The cabbage will start to wilt down.
- Pour in the cornflour mix and stir well, again.
- Take lid off, then carefully spoon 2 tablespoons at a time of the dumpling mix onto the stew, around the edges. They will float on the top. Go the whole way around the pan and then put one in the middle. It should make 8 dumplings, 7 around the edge and 1 in the middle. Scrape any leftover mixture onto the dumplings evenly.
- Put the lid back on and simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove the lid and the dumplings will be perfectly risen and fluffy. Serve and enjoy!
- You can omit the vegan cheese from the dumpling mix for a lighter result, if you like.
- Try it with your favourite vegetables! Parsnips, swede and other root vegetables would all work well!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: vegan stew and dumplings, vegan dumpling stew, vegan vegetable stew