This vegan sweet and sour is a totally delicious fakeaway that's way healthier and cheaper than ordering in! Add some fresh chilli or chilli flakes to take it to the next level.
- 400g extra-firm tofu - pressed for at least an hour cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 red peppers - cut into 2cm pieces
- 8 spring onions - cut into 2cm lengths
- 200g broccoli - cut into small florets
- 200g pineapple - cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 250ml vegetable stock
- Optional: 1 red chilli - finely chopped
- Put 1 tbsp of the cornflour in a bowl and then toss the tofu in it until all pieces are well coated.
- Get a wok on the hob with 1 tbsp of your oil and get it to a medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook until nicely browned and it has a bit of a crisp outside, then take the tofu out and set to one side for later.
- Add the rest of the oil and bring back up to a medium heat, then toss the peppers and spring onions in and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now get the broccoli, pineapple, ketchup, vinegar, sugar and stock in there - give it a good mix and bring it up to a boil.
- While the sauce is coming up to a boil, mix the remaining 1 tbsp of cornflour with a splash of water until you have a thick, but still slightly runny paste - stir it into your sweet and sour tofu sauce.
- As soon the sauce hits a boil, reduce to a simmer, add the tofu back in and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Sweet and sour tofu, vegan sweet and sour tofu