Cashew stir fry is an awesome Thai classic, but rarely will you find a vegan version - it typically contains oyster sauce, and if you try finding a good recipe you're just going to come across relentless numbers of dodgy 'Thai cashew chicken' recipes.
That's where we come in - fiends for Thai food and vegan-ising everything - we promise this vegan Thai cashew stir fry won't disappoint!
It's an incredibly quick dish to make (the only thing that stretches it to 30 minutes is the brown rice!) – it's spicy and packed full of flavour.
If you can get your hands on vegan oyster sauce, like a mushroom sauce, it's going to be a bit more authentic – but don't worry – you can switch that out for more dark soy sauce and a splash of vegan Worcestershire sauce (if you have it). Sounds weird, but you'll have to trust us on this one.
This recipe is 'Thai spicy' so if you're not sure you can handle the heat, only add 1 or 2 chillies. Remember, you can add but can't take away! You can add more sugar if you do over do it on the chilli, as this will reduce the spice a little.
If you don't like tofu use another meat alternative, more veg or omit altogether. Although, we recommend trying out tofu fried in cornflour, it's a game changer.
Love Thai food? Us too, we have loads of other recipes to try. Here's our guide to cooking Vegan Thai Food, which contains more recipes from Thailand.Print
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp vegan oyster sauce - if you can't get this you can double up the amount of dark soy sauce and add 1/2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- Pinch of salt
For the stir fry:
- 400g extra firm tofu - cut into cubes
- 1-2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 shallots - cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup plain cashews
- 4 large cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 3 red bird's eye chillies – finely chopped
- 1 red pepper - cut into chunks
- 100g tenderstem broccoli
- 100g sugar snap peas
- 3 spring onions - cut into 1 inch chunks
- To start off you should coat your tofu in cornflour – just chuck it all in a bowl and give it a good mix up until all the pieces of tofu are nicely coated.
- Add some oil to a wok and bring it up to a medium-high heat, then add the cubes of tofu and fry for a few minutes on each side – you want to get a nice golden brown colour, once you have that take the tofu out of the wok and put it to one side for later.
- In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and put that to one side for later as well.
- Add a splash more oil to the wok and get it back up to a good medium-high heat.
- Fry the shallots and cashews and cook for a couple of minutes until the onions are softening and the cashews have started to brown - be careful not to burn them, you just want to catch them as they've started to brown.
- Now get the chilli and garlic in there and cook for a minute.
- Chuck all the veg in there and stir for a few minutes – try catch it so everything is nice and hot but still fresh and crunchy.
- Pour the sauce in and mix everything up well over the heat so it's all coated nicely.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Vegan Thai Cashew Stir-Fry
If you love this recipe, pin it on Pinterest!