Vegetable Bhuna is a delicious and comforting dish. The addition of tofu makes it a bit more substantial, and it's super healthy as it features peppers, spinach and onions too!
- 2 onions - chopped into medium slices
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 green chillies
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 450g tofu - chopped into small chunks
- 6 tomatoes (~500g) - chopped into quarters
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 peppers - chopped into chunks
- 100g spinach
- 100ml water
- Fry the onion and chillies off in 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil for 15-20 minutes, continually stirring them. The onions should brown quite nicely, but don’t let them burn. Start on a high heat then reduce down to medium.
- Next, blend the tomatoes with the tomato puree until smooth, it should be a thick mixture. Like a smoothie.
- Pop in the garlic, ginger and chillies with the onion, still over a medium heat. Stir well.
- Then add all of the spices and the chopped tofu, and make sure everything is nicely coated. Cook for 1 minute, to allow for the spices to become fragrant.
- Pour in the tomato mixture and 100ml water.
- Simmer for 10 mins (uncovered), to allow the sauce to thicken and reduce.
- Pop in the chopped pepper and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Wilt in the spinach and then season with a generous amount of salt. Serve and enjoy!
- Use fewer chillies if you would like the bhuna to be mild. This dish has been made medium-spicy, rather than very spicy.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Vegetable bhuna, vegan bhuna, veg bhuna