Vegetable Massaman curry is a Thai-Malay curry, that not as well known as other Thai curries. It has a flavour like no other curry that really makes its mark. We hope you love it as much as we do!
For the paste:
- 3 Shallots
- 3 Garlic cloves (large)
- 1/4 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (or powdered version)
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds (or powdered version)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Pods (just the insides)
- 10 Dried chillies – soaked (or fresh red chillies)
- 1/2 tsp Galangal
- 1 tsp Lemongrass
- 1/2 tsp Cloves
- 1 tbsp Coriander stalks
- 1 tbsp Yellow bean paste / white miso paste
- 2 tbsp water
For the curry:
- 1 onion - chopped into chunks
- 1 potato (~ 300g)
- 1 block tofu (~ 400g before pressing)
- 1 Red Pepper - chopped into chunks
- 1 Green Pepper - chopped into chunks
- 4 tbsp Peanuts
- 160ml Coconut cream
- 400ml Coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Tamarind (use lime juice as a substitute)
- 2 tbsp Vegan Fish Sauce (use soy sauce as a substitute)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Put all the paste ingredients in a cup blender (or whatever blender you have) and blitz until smooth. You could alternatively use a pestle and mortar, but it's requires more effort!
- Optional: if frying the tofu for a golden crispy style tofu, do this in a frying pan first. It should take around 10 minutes and you'll need a splash of oil. If using an air fryer, we recommend setting it to 170°C for 7-8 minutes. Then set aside.
- In a wok, fry off the full lot of Massaman paste until fragrant.
- Add in the potatoes and onion, and mix well with the paste. If you haven't fried off the tofu, add it in now too.
- Pour in the coconut cream and stir well.
- Then add the coconut milk and continue to stir.
- Add in the peanuts, sugar and vegan fish sauce.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes (until potatoes are just about soft) and then add in the tamarind.
- Put the peppers (and the fried off tofu – if using) in and stir well. Simmer for a further two minutes. Serve and enjoy.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Wok
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Vegetable Massaman Curry, Vegan Massaman Curry, Vegan Massaman Curry Paste