Vegetable Tikka Masala is a perfectly creamy curry with a hint of spiciness and warming flavours. Bake the marinaded cauliflower in the oven to really bring out the delicious flavours!
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt (unsweetened)
- 4 tsp garam masala
- 4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground coriander
For the curry sauce:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion - chopped into medium chunks
- 4 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger - minced
- 2 green chillies - minced
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegan cream
- 400g cauliflower - chopped into medium chunks
- 350g potatoes - chopped into chunks
- 1 cup peas
- Fresh Coriander
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl, then add the cauliflower and mix well.
- Lay the coated cauliflower our on a baking tray (lined with parchment) and bake on gas mark 5 (190°C) for 15 mins. Turn halfway to make sure they cook evenly.
- While the cauliflower bakes, grab a large pan. Fry the cumin seeds off in a dash of oil, until spluttering, then add the onion and potatoes. Sauté for around 10 minutes
- Then add the garlic, ginger and chillies, continue to cook, stirring continuously for another minute.
- Sprinkle the rest of the ground spices over and stir well.
- Pop in the tomato purée.
- Pour in the vegan cream and stir well, it will turn into a delicious deep red sauce.
- Add 1 cup of water, bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Check that the potatoes are cooked all the way through.
- Now add the peas and heat through.
- Place the baked cauliflower into the curry and stir well, season with salt to your liking. Some of the cauliflower marinade will naturally fall into the sauce, which will deepen the flavour of the sauce. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and enjoy!
- You could use broccoli instead of cauliflower, but reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes.
- In the marinade, coconut cream or cashew cream can be used in place of the vegan yoghurt.
- Coconut milk can be used instead of the vegan cream in the sauce.
- Other veggies can also be used in place of the potatoes and peas. Sweet potato, green beans, carrots and mushrooms will all work well.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top, Oven
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: vegetable tikka masala, vegan tikka masala, veggie tikka masala