1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 / 200°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Melt the butter into a frying pan and sautée the onions until soft.
3 tbsp vegan butter, 300 g red onions
3. Add in the sage for a couple of minutes and stir.
2 tbsp fresh sage
4. Pop the breadcrumbs into the pan, and stir so that all the breadcrumbs are coated well. Don't leave it on the hob too long, as the breadcrumbs shouldn't be toasted! Season well with salt & pepper.
200 g fresh bread crumbs, Salt & pepper
5. Transfer the mixture into a blender and blitz for 30 seconds. It should be well blended, but you should also be able to see some flecks of red onion.
6. Start rolling the mixture into small balls – around one heaped tablespoon at a time.
7. Place on the lined baking tray and bake for ten minutes, turn and then bake for 5 minutes more. They'll be golden brown once out of the oven!