We love hummus - plain hummus, spiced hummus, red pepper hummus, pumpkin hummus...and obviously, beetroot hummus.
This one came about when we were making a rainbow bowl for lunch and also had a craving for beetroot - we love them both, and the colour that beetroot adds to things is just incredible.
If you have the time, obviously peeling, chopping and roasting some beetroot is the right way to go. But, if you're pushed for time, some pre-cooked beetroot works absolutely perfectly - where we shop sells steamed beetroot, which has a bit of vinegar on it, but it still does the job. Anyway, here's the recipe for our beetroot hummus!Print
- 400g tin of chickpeas - drained and rinsed (don't forget to save the aqua faba for something cool!)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 50ml olive oil
- Splash of water
- 125g beetroot - peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt – to taste
- Roast the beetroot in the oven on gas mark 5 for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the beetroot from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Chuck everything in a blender.
- Blitz up - for longer than you think it needs (to ensure it's really silky).
- Category: Sides and starters
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Beetroot hummus