We love hummus - plain hummus, spiced hummus, red pepper hummus, pumpkin hummus...and obviously, beetroot hummus.
This one came about when we were making a rainbow bowl for lunch and also had a craving for beetroot - we love them both, and the colour that beetroot adds to things is just incredible.
If you have the time, obviously peeling, chopping and roasting some beetroot is the right way to go. But, if you're pushed for time, some pre-cooked beetroot works absolutely perfectly - where we shop sells steamed beetroot, which has a bit of vinegar on it, but it still does the job. Anyway, here's the recipe for our beetroot hummus!
- 400 g chickpeas - 1 tin, drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 125 g beetroot - peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Salt – or to taste
- Roast the beetroot in the oven on gas mark 5 for 15-20 minutes.125 g beetroot
- Remove the beetroot from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Chuck everything in a blender.400 g chickpeas, 2 cloves garlic, 50 ml olive oil, 1 tbsp water, 125 g beetroot, 1 tbsp tahini, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp Salt
- Blitz up - for longer than you think it needs (to ensure it's really silky).