This vegan egg mayo sandwich could be the quickest recipe on our website! It takes just ten minutes to make. Perfect for lunch in a hurry or make the night before ready for the next day. Read on for this super speedy recipe...
We often see comments like 'why do vegans make their food look like non-vegan food?' – we find this a really interesting concept.
The reason vegan food often emulates non-vegan food is two-fold (in our opinion):
- No one said that people who choose to be vegan didn't like the food they ate before. They're just now choosing a more compassionate lifestyle, for the planet, the animals and their own health.
- Mimicking non-vegan food like meat and egg is often an easier way for people to try vegan food, because it's familiar. If it looks like something you already recognise, it can't be that scary, right?
Would you agree? We'd love to know your thoughts on this! Let us know in the comments below.
Vegan egg mayo in 10 minutes!
This recipe only uses 9 ingredients and they're mostly vegan staples! The one thing you might not already have is Kala Namak. It's now a staple for us because it takes anything that's trying to replicate an eggy flavour to the next level, like our Tofu Scramble.
We made a video to make it even easier to make this recipe, hope it's helpful!
What is kala namak?
Kala namak, Indian black salt or even Himalayan black salt is an ingredient thats's gaining popularity in vegan recipes. That's because of its ability to create an 'eggy' flavour. The salt starts out as Himalayan pink salt, and is heated to a very high heat and mixed with Indian spices, as well as harad fruit which contains sulfur. The sulfur is the ingredient that gives it the egg flavour.
There are two main things to note – it's not usually black, more of a pink colour, and it smells pretty bad. Try not to let this put you off!
Additionally, go careful with the amount you use. You can add more but you can't take it away! This ingredient has a powerful flavour, that's why we only use a quarter of a teaspoon in this recipe.
What you'll need to make this vegan egg mayo:
- A big mixing bowl
- A mixing spoon
- Teaspoon measurer
- Tablespoon measurer
If you'd like to find out more about tofu, check out this guide to tofu.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a review and a rating below, or tag us in your photos on Instagram! Alternatively, bookmark it in your browser or save to Pinterest for later.
If you love our content, please consider supporting it by buying us a coffee.
This vegan egg mayo sandwich could be the quickest recipe on our website! It takes just ten minutes to make. Perfect for lunch in a hurry or make the night before ready for the next day.
- 150g silken tofu
- 280g firm tofu
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- ¼ tsp kala namak
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Handful of cress (optional but recommended)
- 8 slices of bread
- Crumble both types of tofu into a bowl and mix together
- Add the remaining ingredients (not the bread!)
- Mix well
- Butter your bread (with vegan butter, naturally), and spread a quarter of the mix into each sandwich
- Add the cress (if using) and close up the sandwich with the other slice of bread and pack for your lunch or tuck in!
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Mixing bowl
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: vegan egg mayo, tofu egg mayo, vegan sandwich