This vegan huevos rancheros is the destroyer of hunger and hangovers, so if you have either (or both), you really need to try it!
We've created a spicy mix of onion, pepper, mushrooms and tomato, and combined it with some kick-ass scrambled tofu and avocado, all served on top of soft tortillas.Print
- 400g chestnut mushrooms - sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 red onion - finely chopped
- 1 red pepper - finely chopped
- ½ tin tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ lime
- 1 tsp ancho chilli powder
- ½ tsp chipotle chilli powder
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tortillas
- Salt & pepper
- Splash of oil
For the tofu scramble:
- 300g silken tofu
- ½ tsp kala namak salt (you can leave this out, but it's going to be missing that 'eggy' flavour)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Heat up a splash of oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the pepper, mushrooms, purée and spices and stir for 5 minutes or so until the mushrooms have softened a bit.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, lime juice, a pinch of salt and simmer for 10 minutes. In the meantime make the scrambled tofu.
- Chuck all the scrambled tofu ingredients in a pan and give it a good stir while heating it through – the tofu should break up and make a nice 'scrambled egg' type consistency. It should only take a couple of minutes to heat through.
- Lay your tortillas out on plates, load up with the sauce mix, scrambled tofu and finish off with sliced avocado if you're using it.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Mexican