You can't find many dishes as simple and delicious as a dal - the most complicated bit is deciding how it's spelt; dal, daal, dhal or dahl?! Rather than spending our time worrying about that we created this vegan dal with cauliflower and spinach...it's a rich and creamy one-pot wonder that only takes around 30 minutes.
We love the combination of cumin and coriander in Indian food, so used it as two of the key flavours in our vegan dal, along with a very generous helping of turmeric - have you looked into turmeric? That shit is basically medicine that makes your food an incredible colour.
This dish goes great as a main with rice, or even as a side along with some other rad Indian food - we'd recommend serving it with our very own madras and these super simple naan breads if you're really going to town.
If you're interested in finding out about even more vegan Indian recipes, head to our list of 60+ of the best ever vegan Indian dishes.Print
- 400g cauliflower - chopped into bitesize florets
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger - finely chopped
- 1 red chilli - finely chopped (deseed and/or use less depending on how spicy you want it)
- 100g spinach
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 4 tsp ground turmeric
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 400ml tin tomatoes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Add the coconut oil to a large saucepan and heat up to a medium-high heat
- Chuck the onion in and cook until softened
- Now put in the garlic, ginger, chilli and the spices and cook for another minute
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, coconut milk and lentils, bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer - cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add the cauliflower and cook for another 10 minutes
- Season to taste
- Stir in the spinach until wilted
- Serve, either with rice or as a side!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Cauliflower and spinach dahl