You're really not missing out on anything when you're vegan, but there are some things that take some experimentation to find a decent replacement – like a vegan creamy pasta.
Dan always loved creamy dishes, and carbonara was up there as one of his favourites before going vegan, so he missed it for a while... but this carbonara ticks all the boxes.
We've used a combination of oat milk, soaked cahews and silken tofu to create this vegan carbonara but if you're avoiding soya you could always replace the tofu with another cup of cashews.Print
- 300g spaghetti
- 300g silken tofu
- 1 cup oat milk (we use Oatly barista)
- 1 cup cashews – soaked for a few hours, and drained
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- A pinch of kala namak (optional, but adds a slight eggy flavour)
- 250g Portobellini (or portobello) mushrooms – sliced
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 cups of petit pois
- Lots of salt and pepper
- Make a marinade for the sliced mushrooms from the olive oil, liquid smoke, apple cider vinegar, tamari and maple syrup - make sure the mushrooms are coated really well, leave to stand in the marinade for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook the mushrooms in a frying pan over a medium to high heat for a few minutes until they release water and have shrunk, make sure some of the liquid is in the pan with the mushrooms. Keep them cooking on a low heat until the sauce has mostly evaporated and the mushrooms look nicely glazed
- Blend up the ingredients for the sauce - that's the tofu, oat milk, cashews and nutritional yeast.
- Cook pasta according to packet ingredients.
- Fry the garlic in a large pan.
- Add the creamy sauce and stir it all up.
- Stir the petit pois through the sauce and heat for a few mins until they're hot, add lots of salt and pepper (to your taste).
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix up really well with tongs.
- Make sure the mushrooms are hot enough to serve.
- Plate up the pasta with the mushrooms on top.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan creamy pasta