This is the easiest and most delicious vegan garlic bread with just 4 ingredients! And it will be ready in just 15 minutes. A perfect side for most pasta dishes, or a great snack by itself.
The only problem is, a lot of shop bought garlic bread has dairy in it, ugh! Can vegans eat garlic bread? Of course we can! Anything you can eat, we can make vegan. You’ll only need four core ingredients, but you can level-up this garlic bread with all kinds of extras, too!
📋 Ingredient Notes
These notes and instructions are an overview to accompany the step-by-step images. For a full list of ingredients and instructions, head to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
You only need four ingredients to make this epic vegan garlic bread from scratch!
- French baguette – if you prefer, you can use ciabatta instead.
- Vegan margarine or dairy free spread. We like to use Flora or Vitalite. For our American readers, it doesn’t get much better than Earth Balance.
- Optional extras: you can add herbs like chives or oregano, a sprinkle of nutritional yeast or grated vegan cheese. You may also like to add a little salt, depending on if the vegan butter is salty or not.
🔪 Step-by-step Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4. Next, cut the 2 ft baguette in half, so that you have 2 x 1 ft baguettes
2. Cut the baguette halves into 1" slices stopping before the bottom, so that each slice doesn’t come away from the baguette. To make it easier, lay the baguette between two chopsticks (lengthways), and slice across the baguette until the knife gets to the chopsticks and comes to a natural stop.
3. Mix the vegan butter, chopped basil and crushed garlic together. If you’re using any extra herbs or nutritional yeast, chuck those in too.
4. Spread three quarters of the butter and garlic mixture evenly in between each slice of slice of baguette, on both sides.
5. Spread the remaining butter over the top of the baguette halves.
6. Grab a non-stick baking sheet, or line a tray with parchment paper. You don’t want your garlic bread getting stuck! Lay both baguettes onto the tray and bake at 180c for 7-8 minutes until the outside is crispy.
7. You’ll know when it’s done because the outside bread will look golden and slightly crisp, but the middle will still be soft. Take it out of the oven and try to get it to the table before eating it all!
👨🍳 Expert tips
We love using a french baguette to make vegan garlic bread because it’s crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. You could also use a ciabatta if that’s more your style (we have done this numerous times). Do everything exactly the same, just with ciabatta instead!
Level-up your garlic bread!
Try adding herbs, nutritional yeast or even vegan cheese if you want to take it to the next level.
If you want to make your vegan garlic bread extra indulgent, add vegan cheese to make cheesy garlic bread. We recommend the vegan Applewood smoked cheese or vegan Koko Cheddar for this.
The best sandwich of all time
Instead of making slices of garlic bread baguette, try making a truly epic sandwich with garlic bread ciabatta.
Cut the ciabatta in half and fill it with vegan sausages and a combination of vegan mayo, sriracha and ketchup. Like in this Instagram post below. Thank us later!
Just don’t go overboard with the garlic. Dan did this once when we had friends over. Turns out there is such a thing as too much garlic, who knew?!
It completely depends where you’re buying or ordering it from, so it’s always a good idea to check. Of course, our dairy free garlic bread is totally vegan, so you’re safe here.
If you’re ordering it in a restaurant, it will most likely use dairy butter. It’s always best to check with the server. They may be able to make a vegan version for you, as lots of restaurants become more and more vegan friendly, this is a lot more common.
Yup! You can even reheat it straight from frozen. It should be fine in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to reheat it, chuck it straight in on gas mark 4 / 180°c in the oven for 15 minutes or so, to make sure it’s completely defrosted and hot all the way through.
We love using French baguette to make our homemade garlic bread, but a ciabatta works just as well.
Go wild! We’re big fans of garlicky food and while we think we’ve got the quantities just right, everyone has different tastes.
🍝 What to serve with it
This pasta arrabiata is a favourite in our house! It’s a traditional Italian recipe that’s super simple, and incredibly tasty.
Vegan spinach and ricotta cannelloni
Vegan garlic bread goes really well with our cheesy and decadent spinach and ricotta cannelloni. It’s absolutely perfect for mopping up the extra marinara sauce.
Creamy mushroom pasta
Try garlic bread piled high with creamy mushroom pasta, garlic and mushrooms are such a perfect combination!
🇮🇹 Other Italian inspired recipes you might like
- Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
- Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Pink Cashew Pesto by Justyna Manjari
- Cramy Spaghetti Carbonara
Did you make this recipe? Leave a review and a rating below, or tag us in your photos on Instagram! Alternatively, bookmark it in your browser or save to Pinterest for later.
If you love our content, please consider supporting it by buying us a coffee.
The easiest and most delicious vegan garlic bread in just 15 minutes and 4 ingredients! A perfect side for most pasta dishes, or a great snack by itself.
- 2 ft French baguette (or ciabatta if you prefer, see notes below)
- 6 tbsp vegan margarine or dairy-free spread
- 1.5 tbsp (5 cloves) cloves garlic - peeled and crushed.
- 1.5 tbsp fresh basil leaves - chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon additional fresh herbs like chives or oregano
- ½ tsp salt (depending on if the vegan butter is salty or not)
- Nutritional yeast
- Grated vegan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4.
- Slice the baguette in half, so that you have 2 x 1 ft baguettes
- Cut the baguette halves into 1" slices stopping before the bottom, so that each slice is still attached to the baguette. Top tip: lay the baguette between two chopsticks (lengthways) and slice across the baguette until the knife gets to the chopsticks and comes to a natural stop.
- Mix the crushed garlic, vegan butter and fresh basil together in a small bowl. Also add salt and any extras like nutritional yeast or additional herbs.
- Spread three-quarters of the butter and garlic mixture evenly in between each slice of baguette.
- Slather the rest of the butter, garlic and basil mixture on top of each baguette.
- Grab a non-stick baking sheet, or line a tray with parchment paper. Put the baguettes on the tray and bake at 180°C for 7-8 minutes. The baguettes are done when the outside of the bread is golden and slightly crisp, but the middle is still soft.
- This garlic bread freezes really well. Just pop the baguette into the freezer once cool, and it will keep for 3 months. Reheat thoroughly from frozen for 15 minutes on gas mark 5 or 190°C. After 5 minutes cover with tin foil to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Try using ciabatta instead of French baguette. Use a 250g ciabatta loaf. Cut into actual slices (it doesn’t need to be attached like the baguette). Then lay each slice onto the baking sheet and slather the vegan butter onto each individual slice.
- Top with grated vegan cheese for extra indulgence.We recommend the vegan cheeses by Koko or Applewood.
- Make this gluten-free by using a gluten-free baguette or ciabatta.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven-bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan garlic bread