This is the best vegan pesto pasta! We loved pesto before we went vegan but all the best recipes usually had parmesan or another hard cheese in them.
That's why we've included the key ingredients for our cashew parmesan; that's cashews and nutritional yeast.
The recipe makes four portions, but resisting going back for seconds can be tricky - are we the only people that don't seem to be able to get enough of pesto?!
Top it off with some cashew parmesan to take it to the next level.Print
For the pesto:
- 100g pine nuts
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 20g fresh basil
- 40g cashews
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion - sliced
- 250g broccoli - cut into bite size florets
- 1 cup petit pois
- 300g pasta
- Chuck all the pesto ingredients into a blender and blitz up until smooth
- Season the pesto to taste and set aside for later
- In a frying pan, fry the red onion off in a little oil until softened - set aside
- In a large saucepan of boiling water put the pasta in to cook for 2 minutes (we're assuming your pasta takes 10 minutes to cook, as most do, so if not you'll need to adjust the timing from here on in...)
- Add the broccoli to cook with the pasta for another 3 minutes
- Add the peas in with the pasta and broccoli, cook for another 5 minutes then drain
- Put the drained pasta and vegetables back into the pan, along with the fried onion and pesto and stir through over a gentle heat for a couple of minutes to heat it back up.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Vegan pesto pasta, dairy free pesto pasta