One vegan McMuffin, coming up! As a breakfast winner for so many people, we had to create our own cruelty-free vegan McMuffin. It was easy - shop bought vegan sausages, a marinated tofu 'egg' slice, a breakfast muffin and ketchup...what's not to love?
We used Linda McCartney's sausages for this because they just felt like they were going to work best - quite soft and mouldable, ideal for reforming into a sausage patty for the ultimate vegan McMuffin. No doubt there are other brands out there that would work though, so get experimenting!
We also added in some bonus vegan cheese – as pictured above. Just melt a handful of violife on top of the patty during the second half of its cooking time. This is wholly recommend, although it's not strictly part of a classic Mcmuffin recipe.Print
- 4 Linda McCartney's sausages - defrosted - you can use your favourite brand instead if you think they'll mould into a patty OK!
- 2 breakfast muffins (and some vegan butter/spread)
- 200g tofu (½ of a 396g pack extra-firm tofu, we use Cauldron) - pressed overnight to get rid of all the liquid
- 3 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 4 tsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of kala namak (Himalayan black salt)
- Tomato ketchup
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/190c
- In a dish, mix together the milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric and kala namak
- Cut the pressed tofu in half to create two thin slabs of tofu, put in the mix you've just made and leave to marinate - turn every few minutes so it gets good coverage
- Grab your two defrosted sausages, and using your hands, mash them together and reform into a burger patty - then repeat with the other two sausages.
- Put in the oven on a greased or non-stick baking tray for around 15 minutes - roughly 7 minutes on each side - you want to get a nice brown colour on each side.
- After you've turned the patties, bring a frying pan up to a low-medium heat and add a splash of oil.
- Place the slabs of tofu in the frying pan and turn every minute until the sausage patties are done, adding an extra teaspoon or two of the remaining marinade each time you turn them, to keep adding to the colour and flavour - you're aiming crisp golden brown colour on each side.
- Toast and butter the muffins, adding tomato ketchup if you want (recommended!), then serve.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven-bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan McMuffin