A bangin' vegan breakfast burrito is what weekend breakfasts were made for.
We noticed breakfast burritos at the Breakfast Club in London for the first time a few years ago, and have loved them ever since. That was back before we went vegan, so we had to create our own cruelty-free version.
This vegan breakfast burrito brings together aromatic Mexican spices, with our classic scrambled tofu along with coriander lime rice and, of course, mashed avocado to finish the whole thing off.
Hope you enjoy this one – share your version with us on Instagram or Facebook and we'll re-share your post in our stories.
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- 4 wholewheat wraps or your favourite type of wrap
- 2 avocados mashed
For the rice
- 150 g brown rice
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander – roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
For the beans
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 400 g tin black beans - drained
- 1 red chilli - chopped
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 250 g fresh tomatoes - chopped
- Salt to season
- 1 tsp oil
For the scrambled tofu:
- 300 g silken tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp kala namak black salt
- Chilli flakes
- Fresh coriander
- Put the rice on to cook – it should take around 30 minutes.150 g brown rice
- While the rice cooks, add the oil to a frying pan then cook off the onion until translucent.1 onion, 1 tsp oil
- Add the garlic and chilli for a minute or two (careful it doesn't burn).2 cloves garlic, 1 red chilli
- Once the onions and garlic are fragrant, pour in the black beans.400 g tin black beans
- Add the spices and tomato purée.2 tsp cumin powder, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Mix it all up and add the chopped tomatoes, and again stir up well, then let it cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.250 g fresh tomatoes, Salt
- Now, time to make the scrambled tofu, put all the ingredients in a small pan and heat through gently, stirring continuously - it should only need 1-2mins to heat through, don't leave it on too long as it will get watery.300 g silken tofu, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp kala namak, Salt
- Once the rice is done, drain and stir the coriander and lime juice through.1 tbsp lime juice, 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- Now, time to build the breakfast burrito. Starting with the avocado, layer everything in the wrap.4 wholewheat wraps, 2 avocados
- There's an art to folding the perfect wrap – make sure the ingredients are layered nearer to one edge than in the middle. So, layer the avocado, rice, beans, then scrambled tofu. Add the optional extras if you're using them.Chilli flakes, Fresh coriander
- Wrap like a burrito, folding the sides in then the edge closest to you over the filling, then roll while keeping everything secure (it's difficult to explain this - hit up youtube if you need to see somebody doing it).
- Done – bangin' vegan breakfast burritos!