Vegan Ramyeon is the Korean version of Ramen. Usually it's made with instant noodles and flavourings but we decided we wanted a vegan (and healthy) version.
We originally researched vegan ramyeon because we have a regular documentary night with one of our friends (hi Carly!). We focus the documentary – and food – for each night on a particular country.
When we came up with this dish we were focusing on North Korea, although, actually, this dish is from South Korea, so we cheated a bit!
We served this vegan ramyeon with 'Vegetable Fusion' frozen gyozas by Itsu - and as a combo, it was pretty damn tasty.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Gochujang paste double up if you like it spicy
- 5 x5cm square of nori
- 1 teaspoon Gochugaru chilli flakes use normal chilli flakes if you can't find these
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 carrots - cut into batons
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms - quartered
- 100 g broccoli - chopped into small florets
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoon white miso paste
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 spring onions - chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 100 g Udon noodles
- Soak the nori in cold water.5 x5cm square of nori
- In a big deep pan, fry the garlic and chilli flakes for a minute.1 teaspoon Gochugaru chilli flakes, 3 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon oil
- Add the mushrooms and carrots to the pan and continue cooking on a medium-high heat until the mushrooms release some liquid.250 g chestnut mushrooms, 2 carrots
- Pour in the boiling water.4 cups boiling water
- Add in the Gochujang paste, tamari, nooch, drained nori, miso and stir well.1 teaspoon Gochujang paste, 1 tablespoon tamari, 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 2 teaspoon white miso paste
- Bring the broth to a boil then immediately reduce down to a gentle simmer.
- Put the noodles on to cook in a separate pan.100 g Udon noodles
- Add the broccoli to the broth, simmer for 7 minutes.100 g broccoli
- While the noodles cook taste the broth to see if you want it spicier, saltier or with more miso flavour and adjust accordingly.
- Squeeze in the lime juice just before serving and top with spring onions.1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 spring onions