Our vegan bacon is made with aubergine (or eggplant), and is smokey and salty, giving it those real bacon-y flavours, guilt-free. It goes really great with a vegan full English, but is also a solid edition to a vegan BLT sandwich.
It's great served as part of a vegan full English breakfast. For the scrambled tofu, we keep it really simple - none of this onion, parsley, cumin etc. nonsense that people seem to add to tofu when trying to replicate eggs. We've already posted the recipe for it as a scrambled tofu on toast recipe, so go check that out, you'll struggle to find a recipe closer to the real thing!
Vegan Aubergine Bacon
- ½ aubergine (80-100g) - thinly sliced
- 1.5 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 6/200c.
- Mix all the liquid ingredients together in a bowl or dish.1.5 tbsp tamari, 1 tbsp liquid smoke, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Drench the slices of aubergine in the liquid mix, then add to a non-stick baking tray (use greaseproof/parchment paper if you don't have non-stick).½ aubergine
- Brush any remaining liquid onto the aubergine slices on the tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, turn the slices over, then bake for another 5-10 minutes - how long they take is really going to depend on your oven, your tray, and just how thick the slices were, so keep a close eye on them and make a call on when they're done!
Leave a Comment