One of our favourite, simple breakfasts is cinnamon granola with yoghurt and fruit. It's really satisfying, quick to make and pretty healthy too. It only takes 30 minutes to bake in the oven, then you have breakfast ready for a week!
We find shop-bought granola can be a bit hit-and-miss - sometimes it contains honey which sucks for us vegans, but it's also often very high in sugar and oils.
We created our cinnamon granola to be pretty balanced on that front, we have included a bit of oil in ours because we think it needs at least some to help coat everything, but we've used maple syrup as a sweetener which is a lot healthier than honey, as well as vegan, and unrefined so better than a lot of other sugars too.
The benefits of cinnamon granola
The bulk of our cinnamon granola is full of amazing ingredients:
- Oats are packed with good things like fibre and iron.
- Nuts contain lots of healthy, unsaturated fats, as well as protein.
- Sunflower and pumpkin seeds contain anti-oxidants, complex E, B and K vitamins, as well as omega-6s and the list could go on!
We've also included hulled hemp seeds as an optional extra. We've made this granola quite a few times, but only the most recent time did we include hemp seeds. They add a satisfying savoury edge, and we recently discovered the insane list of benefits to using hemp (not just in cooking), so we're really into them.
Some are even claiming that hemp seeds are the most nutritionally complete food source in the world!
What you'll need:
- A large baking dish or deep baking sheet.
- A big container to store all your delicious cinnamon crunch granola!
It's great on top of chia pudding too! Try it on top of our Passionfruit Chia Pudding.
- 2 cups oats
- 100 g almonds - roughly chopped
- 100 g pecans - roughly chopped
- 100 g pumpkin seeds
- 100 g sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150 g raisins
- 100 g hemp seeds - optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160c / gas mark 3.
- Chuck the oats, nuts and seeds in a roasting dish and give them a quick stir.2 cups oats, 100 g almonds, 100 g pecans, 100 g pumpkin seeds, 100 g hemp seeds
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil, maple syrup and cinnamon then pour over the oat mix and stir it really well until the entire mix is coated.3 tbsp vegetable oil, 3 tbsp maple syrup, 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Put in the oven for 30 minutes, taking it out in 10 minute intervals to give it a good stir.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, add the raisins and hemp seeds (if using) and give it another good stir.150 g raisins, 100 g hemp seeds
- Serve with dairy free yoghurt or milk, along with fresh fruit.