Homemade porridge is better than 'just add water' porridge. Fact.
Apart from the fact that convenience porridge usually includes dairy milk powder, making it yourself at home is cheaper, tastier and super quick too. And there's no limit to the flavour combinations you can make.
So, step away from the convenience porridge and make this healthy, warming and delicious breakfast instead!Print
- 1 cup oats (we used Flahavan's Organic Porridge Oats)
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk (we use Rude Health's organic Almond and Rice milk)
- 1 apple (grated)
- 1 big carrot (grated)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 tbsp raisins (and more for on top)
- 1 handful of walnuts (chopped)
- Combine the oats and milk in a saucepan and cook over a high heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture boils.
- Turn the heat down so that the oats start to simmer.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, carrot, apple, maple syrup and raisins.
- Keep stirring continuously until the oats turn into a porridge-like consistency.
- Once you're happy with the consistency, serve up into two warming bowls and add the walnuts and extra raisins on top. You could even add more almond milk if you fancy it.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-top
Keywords: Vegan carrot cake porridge