It's no secret that we love Mexican food, and we've been experimenting with vegan quesadillas for a while now. The hardest part of this dish is flipping them!
We found that using a two spatula approach works wonders, but it still takes some practice. We'd love to see your first, second, third or even fourth attempts at getting it right!
We've used a classic combo of smoked paprika, cumin and chilli to create the bangin' flavour in this vegan quesadilla, but if you like it spicier, go wild with the chilli – or even chuck a fresh one in! You do you, just enjoy it.
- 1 onion – sliced
- 4 cloves garlic – crushed
- 280 g firm tofu – sliced
- 300 g chestnut mushrooms – sliced
- 3 peppers – red, yellow or green, sliced
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 4 tsp smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1.5 cup vegan cheese – grated
- Salt – to taste
- Pop a splash oil (or oil spray) to a frying pan, bring to a medium-high heat and chuck in the sliced tofu. Fry until golden brown, stirring regularly, then remove from the pan and set aside for now.280 g firm tofu
- Add another splash of oil to the frying pan and heat up to high heat. Fry the onions for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and give it another minute. Sprinkle in the spices and fry for another minute.1 onion, 4 cloves garlic, 2 tsp cumin powder, 4 tsp smoked paprika powder, ½ tsp chilli powder, Salt
- Pop in the mushrooms and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until they’ve reduced in size a bit and released a little water.300 g chestnut mushrooms
- Add the peppers and tofu into the pan and stir until everything is well mixed and coated in the spices. Cook for a couple of minutes just until the peppers and tofu are hot. Take the mix off the heat and prepare the tortillas.3 peppers, 280 g firm tofu
- Heat up a non-stick pan, skillet or flat griddle to medium heat. Lay the first tortilla in the pan and serve up roughly ⅙ of the tofu mix onto half of the tortilla, sprinkle on ¼ cup of the vegan cheese, then fold the other half of the tortilla over the top.6 corn tortillas, 1.5 cup vegan cheese
- Cook the tortilla for around 1 minute on each side, but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn – different pans and ovens mean this time varies, so be careful! Aim for a light browning and slight crunch to the tortilla.
- Repeat this process another 5 times until you have 6 delicious tofu and mushroom quesadillas!
- Use super-firm or extra-firm tofu – the kind that comes in a sealed bag and doesn’t need pressing. If you buy the extra-firm tofu that comes in a plastic tray, that’s great too, just press it for an hour or more first to remove some of the water.
- Find the best vegan cheese available to you and use that. And, if you like your quesadillas extra cheesy, add more.
- We wouldn’t recommend storing the quesadillas in the fridge or freezer, as they’re best enjoyed fresh. However, you can make the filling ahead of time, and then put them into the tortillas and heat them, once you're ready to serve.
- Experiment with the spices. If you have ancho chilli powder, try using it in place of the smoked paprika powder. In addition, you can make it spicy by doubling or tripling the chilli powder.