It's no secret that we love Mexican food, and we've been experimenting with vegan quesadillas for a while now. The hardest part of this dish is flipping them!
We found that using a two spatula approach works wonders, but it still takes some practice. We'd love to see your first, second, third or even fourth attempts at getting it right!
We've used a classic combo of smoked paprika, cumin and chilli to create the bangin' flavour in this vegan quesadilla, but if you like it spicier, go wild with the chilli – or even chuck a fresh one in! You do you, just enjoy it.Print
- 2 shallots – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms - sliced
- 1 red pepper – sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 handfuls of grated vegan cheese – we use Mozarella style cheese by Violife
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh red chilli – sliced
- Vegan chicken replacement
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan
- Cook the shallots until translucent then add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes more – be careful not to burn it!
- Add all the spices then the peppers, mushrooms and vegan chicken (if using)
- Keep cooking until the liquid from the mushrooms cooks off, then season to taste and add the lime juice
- Remove the mushroom mix and set to one side while rinsing the pan, ready to cook the quesadilla
- Put one of the corn tortillas in the pan and layer half the mushroom mixture on top, followed by a good handful of vegan cheese
- Put another tortilla on top of the cheese, then cook on a gentle heat
- The cheese should melt in a few minutes. Check the underside carefully – when it starts to brown you'll need to flip it
- Flipping the quesadilla is the tricky bit. You'll need to use two spatulas – carefully use one underneath and one on top to stop the mixture falling out, then quickly flip over. It takes a while to get the hang of it!
- Once flipped, cook for another few minutes. Then you're done – a bangin' vegan quesadilla!
- Serve with extra chilli, salsa or guacamole – they all complement this dish beautifully.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Pan-Fry
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Vegan quesadilla