Vegan Buffalo cauliflower wings have been popular for some time now, so we had to master this recipe. It took us a couple of goes but we're really happy with this one.
It's generally quite a spicy dish so keep this in mind when cooking – don't be too heavy handed with the cayenne if you don't like your wings too spicy!
Chilli heads – you've got the option to add some sriracha into the sauce for this one. It does add a depth of flavour, but don't say we didn't warn you!
However you like your wings, we'd love to see your take on this recipe, so if you make it let us know what you think! And don't forget to tag us in your creations on Instagram.
If you like your cauliflower to take centre stage then you have to try our Cauliflower and Chickpea Madras too. Give it a go.Print
- 1 Head of cauliflower (around 250-300g)
For the batter:
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika (smoked or normal, depending on what you fancy)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup oat milk
For the buffalo cauliflower wings sauce:
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari if gluten free)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp tahini
For the ranch sauce:
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo - we swear by Veganaise (it's the best mayo going)
- 1/8 cup oat milk
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- Handful of fresh parsley - roughly chopped
- Handful of fresh chives - roughly chopped
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion salt (or onion powder)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 (or 200°C)
- Chop the cauliflower into small-medium chunks
- Whisk the plain flour, oat milk, onion salt, black pepper, paprika and garlic granules together. The mixture should be thick, so it won't run off the cauliflower too much while it bakes.
- Grab a non-stick tray or cover a tray in parchment paper, then dip each piece of cauliflower into the batter and transfer to the tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven, flip half way through.
- While the cauliflower bakes, make the buffalo sauce.
- Put all the buffalo wing sauce ingredients into a bowl and mix with a whisk. It should be a bit thinner than the batter, but not too runny.
- You should just have enough time to make the ranch sauce while the cauliflower bakes too – simply put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Once the cauliflower has baked for 20 minutes, carefully dip each floret into the hot sauce and place back onto the tray.
- Bake for another 20 minutes, then serve with the ranch sauce.
Top tip: taste the sauce before you add the sriracha - cayenne pepper can be very spicy so make sure it suits your tastebuds!
- Category: Starters and sides
- Method: Oven bale
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan Buffalo cauliflower wings