Baked sweet potato slices are a delicious side dish that's easily baked and ready within 60 minutes including prep! These crispy roasted sweet potato slices need just four ingredients and are so easy to make. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Great on the side of a cashew nut roast.
🌟 Why this recipe works
Only 4 ingredients - these baked sweet potato slices only need four ingredients! It only needs a few ingredients but we haven't sacrificed any flavour. That just means it's even easier to make delicious roasted sweet potatoes as a side dish.
Simple to make – apart from slicing the sweet potatoes and preparing the garlic and herbs, there's really not a lot to do for this recipe. Once it's in the oven you just need to keep an eye on it and sit back and wait for your sweet potato rounds to be ready!
Vegan & gluten free – that means that these roasted sweet potatoes are an enjoyable healthy side dish that everyone can enjoy!
Sweet & savoury – these sweet potato rounds are perfectly sweet and savoury. The natural sweetness balances perfectly with the savoury garlic and fresh thyme.
Sweet potatoes – we picked up one large sweet potato because we like having big round sliced sweet potatoes for this dish. However, as long as you use 500g of sweet potatoes any size is fine.
Just make sure to cut them to the same thickness and the cooking time shouldn't be impacted.
Oil – while we've used olive oil, any neutral oil can be substituted in. Vegetable oil, rapeseed/canola oil or even sunflower oil or coconut oil. But coconut oil will most likely add a coconut flavour to the side dish.
Garlic – fresh, minced garlic really sets this recipe off. But you could also use garlic granules or garlic powder, which work great too! Garlic just goes so well with roasted sweet potatoes.
Thyme – sweet potato and fresh thyme are a match made in food heaven! The freshness of the thyme complements the sweetness of the baked sweet potato slices.
It works well with white potatoes too, like in these air fryer smashed potatoes.
Check out the recipe card at the bottom of this article for exact measurements to make this easy oven baked sweet potato slices recipe.
🔪 Step-by-step Instructions
This is a step-by-step overview with photos for making easy roasted sweet potato rounds. The full recipe, along with measurements and detailed instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°f / 200°c. Slice the sweet potatoes into even rounds using a sharp knife. A mandoline will cut them too thin.
2. Place all ingredients – the potatoes, olive oil, herbs and garlic, into a large mixing bowl, generously season with salt and black pepper, and toss to evenly coat the sweet potato slices with the olive oil, garlic and thyme.
3. You may find you need to use tongs. It's a little fiddly but you'll get there with persistence.
4. Evenly arrange the sweet potato slices in a large casserole dish or baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Make sure they are overlapping each other, like in the image above, but in a single layer.
5. Cover the dish with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes more until the roasted sweet potato rounds are fork tender.
6. Remove the foil. Continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes until the edges of the sweet potatoes are crispy.
Season generously with salt and pepper. Optionally served with additional fresh thyme and vegan parmesan cheese shavings.
👩🍳 Expert Tips
To peel or not to peel the sweet potatoes – we recommend scrubbing the sweet potatoes rather than peeling them when it comes to making roasted sweet potato slices. However, if you'd prefer to peel them, go ahead!
Sharpen your knife – we actually don't recommend using a mandoline or similar to slice your sweet potato rounds as they cut too thinly. Instead, make sure your knife is sharp and just try to cut your slices as evenly as possible on a cutting board. But be careful!
Upgrade them – we kept this recipe really simple with just 4 ingredients. But you know what? You can upgrade your sweet potato slices even further by adding other delicious flavourings!
Suggestions include chili powder, paprika powder and we even sprinkled a bit of plant based parmesan cheese on ours before serving!
Overlap vs not overlapping – we recommend overlapping the sweet potato slices a little so they get gorgeous crispy edges, but stay softer in the middle.
If you want to get them crispy all over, make sure they're not overlapping or touching too much – you might need more trays though! The sweet potato slices also just look so enticing when they're overlapping.
Storage – baked sweet potato rounds store in an airtight container for up to 3 days and heated back up in the oven. We don't recommend freezing as they will not reheat well. As the sweet potato slices are thin, they may turn mushy once reheated.
Place the sweet slices in a heap on your baking sheet. Make sure they are evenly spread out and then cover with tinfoil. Baked sweet potatoes take 30 minutes to get fork tender, then they should be uncovered and roasted for a further 20-30 minutes.
It is best to spread the sweet potato slices into equal layers and allow enough room for the edges to get crispy. If your sweet potatoes are touching then they won't crisp up as each slice or wedge is covered in certain areas. If you want your sweet potato slices to go crispy all over, it's best to lay the sweet potatoes over two pan sheets.
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes tend to take the same amount of time to cook. However, the density of each potato makes a big difference when cooking any type of potato whole. Sweet potato slice and regular potato slices (say something like potato dauphinoise) will generally take around the same amount of time to cook.
It depends on your preference! But it makes no difference really, as both methods are a fine way to cook sweet potatoes. It just depends on what type of dish you are making. Sweet potato slices must be baked but boiling sweet potato is great for making mashed sweet potato!
🍛 Serving suggestions
Roasted sweet potato slices make a perfect side dish. Try serving them with:
🍠 More recipes to try
All of these recipes feature sweet potatoes! We think you'll love them. And if you're looking for more potato inspiration? Check out these 41 Best Potato Recipes.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a review and a rating below, or tag us in your photos on Instagram! Alternatively, bookmark it in your browser or save to Pinterest for later.
If you love our content, please consider supporting it by buying us a coffee.
Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- 500 g sweet potato (1 large sweet potato) scrubbed clean and sliced into 2-3mm slices
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic – minced
- 2 teaspoon thyme – dried or fresh
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°f / 200°c.
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss to evenly coat the sweet potato slices with the olive oil, garlic and thyme. You may find you need to use tongs. It's a little fiddly but you'll get there with persistence.500 g sweet potato, 2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon garlic, 2 teaspoon thyme
- Evenly arrange the sweet potato slices in a large casserole dish or sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Make sure they are overlapping each other and in a single layer.
- Cover the baking sheet pan with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes more until the sweet potato is fork tender.
- Remove the foil. Continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes until the edges of the sweet potatoes are crispy.Salt & pepper
- Season generously with salt and black pepper. Optionally served with additional fresh thyme and vegan parmesan cheese shavings.
- Storage – baked sweet potato slices keep in the refrigerator for up to three days but we don't recommend freezing.
- Try mixing up the seasoning on the sweet potatoes. Add chili powder, paprika powder or top with plant based cheese.
- Baked sweet potato rounds should be initially cut with a sharp knife. A mandolin will cut them too thin, unless your mandolin has a thicker setting.