We had a lot of fun creating this vegan egg fried rice! We absolutely love recreating takeaway dishes at home – with all the authenticity of the real deal, but with the benefits of healthier ingredients, and knowing what's going into your food. No additives, just delicious whole foods paired with traditional flavours.
We made a vegan egg fried rice because our Instagram followers asked us to. We ran a poll on whether we should include tofu as an 'egg' replacement, the results were very much in the 'yes' camp. Only around only 30% of people wanting the tofu left out.
If you're not keen on scrambled tofu then omit this part of the recipe - it will be just as tasty without. If you still want to get the yellow colour, like in our pictures, just add a quarter teaspoon of turmeric when you add the rice into the wok. Serve with your favourite fake-away dish, like our Sweet and Sour tofu. Enjoy!Print
This vegan 'egg' fried rice uses firm tofu to recreate a classic takeaway dish, along with a little help from the magic of turmeric and kala namak (a.k.a. Himalayan black salt).
For the rice:
- 300g cooked brown rice
- 2 carrots - chopped into small cubes
- ¾ cup peas
- 1 onion - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - crushed
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 125g baby corn - chopped into small chunks
- 4 spring onions - finely sliced
For the tofu 'egg':
- 200g extra-firm tofu - crumbled
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp kala namak
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Start by making the scrambled tofu – put all the ingredients in a pan and heat through until well combined, then set aside.
- In a wok, heat some sesame oil over a medium-high heat. You can use a different oil or skip it altogether if you have a good non-stick pan.
- Add in the chopped onions for a few minutes, and then follow with the garlic, being careful not to burn it.
- Pop in the carrots, baby corn and spring onions and stir fry for a couple of minutes more.
- Stir in the rice.
- Pour in the soy sauce and, once again, stir through well until combined.
- Finally, stir through the peas and tofu and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, until piping hot.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Vegan egg fried rice, tofu fried rice