We love a classic dish, and there aren't many dinners more classic (or British) than a shepherd's pie...and you know that we can't stop vegan-ising stuff! So, here it is, our vegan shepherd's pie - a hearty mix of vegetables and lentils, topped with creamy mashed potato.
This one's a pretty straight-forward recipe, that's probably going to take you around an hour, and is going to be a killer dish for that Sunday dinner with the fam (or leave you with plenty of leftovers for some quick weekday meals if there are only a couple of you).
Our vegan shepherd's pie is finished off nicely with a small side of veg and a splash of gravy.Print
- 500g carrots - diced
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 onions - chopped
- 1.4kg potatoes - chopped into medium chunks
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1.5 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp tomatoes purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 tsp vegan gravy (we used Bisto reduced salt version)
- 500ml veggie stock
- 200ml hot water to make the gravy
- 350g petit pois
- 4 tbsp vegan butter (we use Vitalite)
- A good splash of unsweetened non-dairy milk (no more than 100ml)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes until soft – for around 15 minutes. When they’re soft mash with a potato ricer or masher along with the vegan butter, milk and a good helping of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6
- While the potatoes cook, sauté the onions until translucent in a large pan
- Chuck in the garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant, being careful not to burn it!
- Add in the carrots, thyme and tomato purée. Let it cook for a few minutes, whilst stirring, until it all starts to smell super tasty
- Pour in the tomatoes, veggie stock and lentils. Season well and then simmer for 15 minutes
- Make the gravy – it should be quite thick
- After 15 mins stir in the gravy then simmer for another 15 minutes, until the lentils are soft. Stir the petit pois through 5 minutes before the end
- In a non stick roasting dish (the one we used measures 6.5cm height, 39.5cm length and 26cm width) transfer the lentil mixture and spread out in the dish, it will be quite a thick layer
- Evenly distribute the mashed potato on top of the lentils, then bake for 15 minutes
- If you can, let it stand for a few minutes once it’s done as the longer it stands the thicker it will become but we didn’t have the patience for this... Serve up with a side of veg and an extra splash of gravy.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven-bake, Stove-top
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Vegan Shepherd's Pie