We hadn't planned what to have for breakfast this weekend, so yesterday we went to our local farmers' market in the rain and picked up some organic chestnut mushrooms.
It felt very civilised, and not very punk – but it made a rad breakfast and that's what matters. We turned them into some delicious creamy vegan garlic mushrooms. Hope you like them!Print
- 250g chestnut mushrooms – sliced
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 2 tsp fresh chives – chopped
- 100ml Oatly cream (or your preferred brand of vegan cream alternative)
- 1tsp Vitalite (vegan butter)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Once you've chopped the mushrooms, garlic and chives put the butter alternative in a small pan and melt over a medium heat
- Add the garlic and let it bubble in the melted butter until fragrant
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they start to release water
- Pour in the Oatly cream and season to taste. Stir it all together
- Let the mixture bubble up and then simmer for about 10-15 minutes
- Add in the chives (saving a sprinkle for serving), mix it all up. Some of the liquid should've cooked off by this point, but you could simmer it for another 5 minutes so more cooks off but we didn't do this because we like it saucy!
- Serve on toasted sourdough or crusty wholemeal bread (we had them with 2 slices of organic white-way from the bakers),
- Serve with an extra sprinkle of chives and enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: vegan garlic mushrooms