What do you prefer, sweet or savoury pancakes? We're firmly in the savoury camp – that's why we've created these vegan savoury pancakes, just in time for Pancake Day!
Mushrooms are one of our favourite vegetables – I think we're actually yet to meet a vegan who doesn't like them! They're our go-to ingredient when we want to add a 'meaty' texture to a dish, and of course, a protein kick. Button mushrooms are also one of the only non-animal derived sources of vitamin D. I knew there was a reason we liked them so much.
This savoury vegan pancakes recipe only uses 11 ingredients altogether, and we bet you have most of them in your cupboard already!
If you make these pancakes – give us a shout out on Facebook or Instagram. We love getting feedback on our recipes and we'll share your take on the dish in our stories! Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.Print
Not everyone loves sweet pancakes, so give these savoury vegan pancakes a go! Nevermind if the first pancake doesn't go to plan, the following batch will be amazing. Hope you have fun making these!
For the pancakes:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup oat milk (unsweetened)
For the creamy mushrooms:
- 250g chestnut mushrooms – sliced
- 2 cloves garlic – crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh chives - roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp Vitalite (or another vegan butter)
- Salt and pepper
- In a small bowl or jug, mix the oat milk and apple cider vinegar together. Set aside.
- Place all of the remaining pancake ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the milk and apple cider mix into the large bowl and whisk by hand, or on a low setting if using an electric mixer.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium-high hob - if you're not using a non-stick pan, use a tiny bit of oil or vegan butter to stop the pancakes sticking.
- Using a quarter cup measurer, pour in a quarter cup of the pancake mixture into the frying pan, and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Small holes should start to form on top of the pancake – this is usually a sign that it's ready to flip. Lift up a bit of the pancake using a spatular to see if it's ready - it should be a nice golden-brown colour.
- Using a spatular, carefully flip the pancake and allow it to cook for a couple of minutes on the other side. Be careful it doesn't burn by keeping a close eye on it!
- Repeat step 6 and 7 until all the mixture is used up. It should make about 12 pancakes.
- Time to make the creamy mushrooms. Add the mushrooms to a medium sized saucepan over a medium-high heat. It should start to melt gradually.
- Pop the garlic in with the vegan butter and give it a stir.
- After a minute add the mushrooms and give it a good stir.
- Let it cook for around five minutes and then add in the chives, vegan crème fraîche, salt and pepper.
- Cook for another five minutes and stir well. Make sure the crème fraîche is mixed in.
- Serve the mushrooms on top of the pancakes with more chives and crème fraîche.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Savoury vegan pancakes, vegan pancakes, vegan fluffy pancakes