We are curry fiends. That’s a fact. Sometimes we like to incorporate those spicy flavours into less typical dishes, like this vegan curry pasta! Fusion food is so exciting, and even though we love veganizing traditional recipes, we love pairing flavours together that aren’t an obvious match!
When Jess was growing up, she remembers a curry-based pasta dish with a big hit of orange that her dad used to cook up regularly, so we decided to recreate it – that's the story behind our curried orange pasta recipe! We won't go into too much detail...
We tried various different ingredients and quantities to get the flavours just right in this curried orange pasta.
Ultimately, we found we achieved the freshest, zestiest orangey flavour by using both orange peel and zest – it really is a delicious combination and complements the curry paste and crunchy peppers wonderfully.
This vegan curry pasta makes a great dinner but also works perfectly for lunch. Just make a big batch and keep it in the fridge.
We've made this quite a few times now and had it over the course of a few days for lunches, either hot or cold. It will last around three days in the fridge.Print
If you love curry and pasta, then why not combine them? Add in a little zesty orange and you've got a dish made in Indian-Italian fusion heaven!
- 1 onion – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- Zest of 1 orange – finely grated
- 250g mushrooms – sliced
- 4 tbsp madras curry paste
- 4 bell peppers (red, orange and yellow) – thinly sliced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup orange juice
- 360g farfelle pasta
- 1 tbsp ground nut oil
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Cook and drain the pasta, according to the packet instructions, drain and then set aside.
- In a large pan, add the groundnut oil and bring it up to a medium-high heat. Chuck the onion in and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger and orange zest and fry for a couple of minutes, making sure not to burn the garlic.
- Get the mushrooms in and cook down a until they start to release water.
- Add the curry paste and stir everything up and cook for another minute.
- Pour the tomatoes and orange juice in, stir, bring to a boil then immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for around 15 minutes to cook the sauce down, season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and then add a bit more salt and pepper if it’s needed.
- Add the peppers and cook for 5 more minutes, then pour the pasta in and stir everything really well.
- Serve it up with a bit of extra orange peel on top if you fancy, and that's it – curried orange pasta!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Fusion, Indian, Italian
Keywords: Vegan curry pasta, curry pasta, orange pasta